Sumary of Southwest cancels hundreds more flights, denies sickout:
- The third straight day of large-scale cancellations left thousands of passengers stranded and upset.
- : “My concern is we had no explanation really that was, I feel, very legitimate or believable,” said Brian Gesch of Cedar Grove, Wisconsin, who was traveling through Reagan Washington National Airport with his wife.
- ” The widespread disruptions began shortly after the union for Southwest’s 9,000 pilots asked a federal court on Friday to block the airline’s order that all employees get vaccinated against COVID-19. The union said it doesn’t oppose vaccination, but it argued in its filing that Southwest must negotiate before taking such a step.
- Airlines persuaded thousands of workers to take leaves of absence during the pandemic.
- The White House has pushed airlines to adopt vaccine mandates because they are federal contractors — they get paid by the Defense Department to operate flights, including those that carried Afghanistan refugees to the U.S. this summer.
- Southwest had remained silent even after President Joe Biden announced his order for federal contractors and large employers.