Sumary of Genoa city guide: Where to stay, eat, drink and shop in this affordable Italian charmer:
- Once you get lost in its hypnotic maze ofnarrow caruggi alleyways, you’ll spot glorious Renaissance palaces alongside the angular modern creations of Genoa’s second most celebrated son, Renzo Piano;
- ” It is dense, but ducking down these caruggi is the best way to get into the rhythm of this port city, dodging scooters, catching a waft of freshly-ground pesto from a trattoria, or soaking in the smell of spices from the Bangladeshi grocery stores.
- Peek at grand palazzosGet an idea of the scale of Genoa’s maritime influence and historic wealth by taking a stroll along the Strade Nuove (new streets), where the city’s richest merchants, bankers and ship owners built a strip of ornate palaces – 42 to be precise.
- Your last stop is the hole in the wall Antica Friggitoria Carega ( 113 Via di Sottoripa, +39 010 247 0617 ) by the Porto Antico, for friggitoria – a kind of a pick-and-mix of fried seafood snacks including fried calamari, octopus, shrimps and anchovies.
- Where to drinkKick off your evening in style with a local favourite asinello, better known as corochinato – a fortified wine from Genova, flavoured with an intriguing mix of 16 herbs and spices including two types of absinthe, cinchona bark and rhubarb.