Sumary of [OPINION] Aaaah-dobo!:
- In the U.S., whenever a Pinoy reception is held, one can expect to be served pancit, lumpiang shanghai, fried chicken and adobo.
- The combination has become so predictable that non-Pinoys are of the impression that these are our national dishes.
- Desperate, I told myself “Ibalik niyo ako sa Pilipinas!” At any rate, after that first encounter with American victuals, I began to understand the urgency with which Christopher Columbus set out to look for the spice islands.
- I desperately scanned the phone books for familiar names and, by a stroke of luck, I found the name of Celina Obregon, a former Manila ad agency co-worker.
- When I finally got her on the phone, I begged her to invite me to her apartment and feed me Pinoy food.
- Nothing ever tasted more glorious to a starving Pinoy than Celina’s adobo.