Sumary of A family has been trying to get back to Hong Kong for a year. Is this the moment?:
- For almost a year, the Bordias have been trying to return to Hong Kong, their home of 13 years, from India, where they traveled early in the pandemic.
- As the Chinese territory has continually changed which countries visitors can arrive from, the family’s journey has become a game of transoceanic Whac-A-Mole, a vivid example of how ever-shifting international travel rules have upended lives worldwide.
- The family has hopped from country to country, traveling across the Indian Ocean and the Persian Gulf, with a toddler still young enough to eat mashed rice and vegetables, another child missing her first year of school and two nannies.
- A change late on Monday particularly stung the Bordias: The city said it would allow travelers from India to return starting Wednesday.
- The city’s travel restrictions are some of the world’s most severe.
- It has blocked travelers not only from certain countries, but also from certain airlines.