Sumary of Bengal’s tourism industry eyes revival this Durga Puja:
- In a leg-up to the COVID-battered tourism industry in West Bengal, bookings for the Durga Puja festive season have surged beyond expectations, tour operators said.
- According to industry sources, bookings for trips during Durga Puja are in full swing amid fears of a possible third wave of the pandemic.
- If you compare it with pre-COVID times, for example, 2019, the revival is around 60 per cent.
- Raj Basu, convenor of the Association for Conservation of Tourism, said keeping in mind COVID safety norms, many travellers this time are more interested in quieter destinations.
- As the village destinations are getting priority among the travellers for health safety reasons, there is now a crisis of homestays and resorts in these places, he said.
- Basu said that health safety awareness campaigns conducted in the villages earlier had worked immensely with owners of even the remotest homestays asking prospective tourists whether they have received double vaccination.