Sumary of House Hunting in Sri Lanka: Open-Air Grandeur With Ocean Views:
- Classical Sri Lankan Design Near the Indian Ocean$3.2 MILLIONThis six-bedroom villa with elements of classical Sri Lankan architecture anchors an eight-acre tea plantation on a hilltop near the city of Galle, on the southern coast of Sri Lanka.The 8,100-square-foot, two-story villa, called Pokkuluwa, has Indian Ocean views and can be purchased either separately or, for $3.9 million, together with a companion two-bedroom beachfront house about three miles away.Designed by the owners in collaboration with the Sri Lankan architect Sunela Jayewardene, Pokkuluwa was created by blasting into the hill’s rock and integrating the home’s discreet structures, many open-sided, into the natural tropical environment, said Charlie Wrey, who owns the home with his wife, Tweenie.The house, which was completed in 2010, sits at an altitude of 800 feet, with an opening in the vaulted ceiling of the living area to accommodate a lofty santol tree.
- Wrey said.“The house is definitely a fusion of architectural styles and themes, but Sri Lankan in its open flow from in to out,” he said.
- “There are classical Dutch elements, common on Sri Lanka’s southern coast, with grand pillars along with much of the styling of the house.”The Wreys planned every detail in the elegantly furnished estate, including its colorful textiles, which they designed and had printed by local artisans on traditional Sri Lankan handlooms.
- Furniture and fittings are not included in the home’s asking price, but are negotiable, Mr.
- Wrey said.A jungle driveway leads to an outdoor parking area a short stroll from a long veranda with colonial planter’s chairs and cane sofas adjoining Pokkuluwa’s 1,200-square-foot main living area.
- Straight ahead is an open-sided pavilion with polished titanium bench sofas surrounded by a lily pond with paddy views, while stairs to the left of the santol tree ascend to a rooftop terrace.
- The open-air main bathroom features natural rocks and flowering shrubs sheltering two showers and a molded stone bath.
- The main bedroom has a sitting area and doors leading to a veranda overlooking the 53-by-18-foot L-shaped swimming pool with an infinity edge.