Sumary of The Definitive Mumbai Guide for Newbies:
- Mumbai is, arguably, the most cosmopolitan Indian city, comprised of migrants from all corners of the country and, indeed, the world, who have contributed to its history and bestowed on it a composite culture that has no parallel in India..
- With its Colonial and Art Deco skyscrapers, chock-a-bloc traffic and frenetic pace of life, Mumbai is a unique city, and sifting through its layers of history and rediscovering imprints that each successive generation left behind is an experience like no other..
- Find your bearingsThe vast urban sprawl of Mumbai spans an area of over 600 sq km—a narrow promontory that ultimately juts into the Arabian Sea..
- The historic Fort in South Mumbai is the proverbial heart of the city, with the best choice of high-end hotels, great restaurants and cultural landmarks..
- Marine Drive, or Netaji Subhash Chandra Road, curves along a sea facing promenade and connects the suburbs to the city main commercial and administrative areas..
- A 10-minute drive eastwards from the esplanade leads to Kala Ghoda (home of the Kala Ghoda Arts Festival), Mumbai de facto cultural district..
- Some of the city most important museums, libraries, and art institutions are located here, along with famous restaurants and book and music stores..
- THE MUMBAI MUST-DOAny amount of time spent in the ‘maximum city’ is not enough to explore its rich history and beautiful alleys….