Sumary of This Small UK Village Was an Inspiration for Modern Olympic Games:
- The vision of Tokyo 2020 involves sport, education and culture, and we in Japan recognise the importance of the legacy of Dr Brookes and the Wenlock Olympian Society.
- ” The Japanese organizing committee had come down to Much Wenlock to observe the town’s annual sporting event, which is said to have been an inspiration for the modern Olympics.
- Way back in 1850, Dr. William Penny Brookes, an English surgeon, magistrate, botanist, and educationalist, was keen to promote physical education and personal improvement.
- So he founded the Wenlock Olympian Class (renamed as Wenlock Olympian Society later) which organised a sporting event in October the same year.
- According to Dr Brookes, the games were open to all ‘able-bodied men’.
- Putting fears of riotous behaviour to rest, the successive annual games became very popular.