Sumary of A visit to Obuse: chestnuts and handicrafts in the mountains of Nagano prefecture:
- George Lloyd Among the town’s notable sights is the 北斎館 Hokusai Museum, which exhibits some of the works of the great Japanese artist 葛飾北斎 Katsushika Hokusai (1760-1849)..
- One of the most prominent ukiyo-e artists from the Edo period, Hokusai was so inspired by the scenic beauty of Obuse that he moved to the town..
- George Lloyd Another sight well worth seeing is 岩松院 Gansho-in, a small temple on the eastern edge of town famous for the painting that Hokusai completed on the ceiling of its main hall in 1848..
- Hokusai devoted his whole life refining his art and always hoped to create a completely satisfying work of art..
- George Lloyd Finally, how about rounding things off with a visit to the 桝一市村酒造場 Masuichi-Ichimura Sake Brewery?…