Sumary of Highlights of central Hiroshima:
- By Raina Ong Hiroshima is a city in western Japan under two hours from the Osaka metropolis or about four hours from Tokyo.
- The city holds the sorrowful reputation of being where the first atomic bomb was dropped on August 6, 1945, which virtually destroyed everything within a 2.5 kilometer radius from the hypocenter.
- When it comes to cuisine, Hiroshima is known for its Hiroshima style okonomiyaki, which is a pancake-shaped dish held together by noodles and a thin crepe layer with an egg on top, and contains thinly sliced cabbage, bean sprouts, thin meat slices and other ingredients.
- The local Hiroshima style okonomiyaki is a dish not to be missed when in the city.
- Food-related experiences like making okonomiyaki in Hiroshima can give visitors a better understanding of the dish and the food culture in the region.
- On this trip, I headed to Okosta at Hiroshima Station, for my Hiroshima style okonomiyaki cooking experience.