Sumary of Roasted Asparagus Tea hojicha curbs food waste by using normally discarded lower stems:
- Japanese company REDD Co Ltd, based in Tokyo’s Nerima Ward, is now selling 翠茎茶 Suikeicha – Roasted Asparagus Tea, a hojicha tea made from the normally-discarded lower stems of high-quality asparagus, through online stores and in select brick-and-mortar shops.
- REDD is in charge of planning and sales, the asparagus is produced by Shiraishi Farm 白石農園 in Nerima Ward, and processing is handled by the Katakuri Welfare Workshop かたくり福祉作業所 and Social Welfare Corporation Akane no Kai 社会福祉法人あかねの会.
- By leveraging an alliance between agriculture and welfare, REDD is able to produce so-called sixth-order industry* products within Nerima Ward.
- *”Sixth-order” is a Japanese term for efforts to revitalize agriculture by creating synergies between the primary, secondary, and tertiary sectors.
- A fragrant tea with a sweet and umami-rich taste Asparagus stems are carefully dried and roasted to maximize their natural flavor.
- Features of Suikeicha – Roasted Asparagus Tea It’s completely caffeine free.