Sumary of Secret Nintendo cafe in Tokyo opens doors to the public:
- employee ran a members-only diner at a secret location in Tokyo, frequented by movers and shakers in the video game industry.
- Entering the venue triggers a Legend of Zelda achievement jingle.
- On the walls are impromptu doodles by the creators of legendary franchises like Pokemon, Dragon Quest and Mega Man.
- The name 84 — which can be pronounced hashi in Japanese — is a combination of the creator’s last name, the year he joined the Kyoto-based games maker and the final stage in Super Mario Bros.Tucked away at the back of a nondescript building in Tokyo’s Shibuya district, 84 is the brainchild of former Nintendo Co.
- Never expecting video games to become the cultural phenomenon they have grown into, the company wasn’t very careful about preserving its history, industry consultant Hisakazu Hirabayashi said.
- The process of finding the gaming oasis was itself a game.Plates signed by Japanese game designer Masahiro Sakurai hang inside 84.
- Shigeki Morimoto, one of people responsible for the Pokemon franchise, is among the regulars.
- “I’ve known Hashimoto a long time, since he helped us make the first Pokemon game,” Morimoto said.