Sumary of Necker Island: While Richard Branson headed off to space, we were invited into his Caribbean lair:
- But in selected weeks of the year, targeted at families celebrating special occasions with their friends, the island functions as a hotel, with room rates starting at just over £3,500 a night.Not peanuts, but a lot cheaper than flying into space.
- Not so, apparently.Umpire, as this one is called, has been imported from the Seychelles, a member of staff explains.
- Umpire’s achievements as a super-stud are eclipsed by a randy ring-tailed lemur called Mr 007.
- An endangered species in their native Madagascar, from where they have been imported, the lemurs have bred like rabbits on Necker.But, then, it’s a sexy place.
- A book by the Duchess of York sits next to the Branson oeuvre in the gift shop.In 2011, Kate Winslet made headlines around the world when she carried Branson’s elderly mother out of a burning house.