Sumary of Welcome to Bornholm, Denmark’s beloved island where sustainability comes as standard:
- It’s easy to get around the island with an electric hire car – at eco conscious hotel Green Solutions House, constructed from biodegradable materials wherever possible, you can even charge the car for free – or, like the rest of Denmark, cycling is the preferred mode of transport, thanks to a wealth of designated cycle paths.
- In 2017, Bornholm was the first island in the world – and the first place in Europe – to be awarded “world craft region” status, recognising its local artists who are inspired by, and source their materials from, what the island’s natural landscape provides.
- The road divides thick forest and green pastures dotted with grazing cows and the wind turbines that provide energy for the island.
- In Gudhjem, arguably Bornholm’s prettiest village with its low-slung, colourful houses and harbour, every other building seems to be an art gallery or local produce store.
- You can’t fail to spot a smoke house chimney in even the smallest of villages.
- The looped 7km “Stone cutters” hike starts at the beach and takes strollers to the lighthouse and most northerly point on the island.