Sumary of EU bans Belarus overflights following Ryanair ‘hijack’:
- European airlines will be banned from flying over Belarus, as sanctions tighten on the country following the recent “hijack”.
- EU ambassadors today adopted a plan to ban the bloc airlines from overflying the country, three diplomats said..
- The skies above Belarus have been much quieter than usual, after airlines decided to skirt its airspace following the incident..
- The overflight decision will come into effect at midnight Central European Time (CET), barring any last-minute objections by EU states..
- Around 400 commercial flights overfly Belarus every day, according to European air traffic control agency Eurocontrol, including 300 overflights of which about 100 are operated by EU or British carriers..
- Following the incident, the transport secretary, Grant Shapps, instructed the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) to request airlines avoid Belarusian airspace “in order to keep passengers safe”…