Sumary of Merkel: Rebuilding of flood-hit areas will take a long time:
- BERLIN (AP) — Despite Germany’s commitment to rebuilding, it will take a long time until the regions damaged by devastating floods in July are put back together, German Chancellor Angela Merkel said Sunday as she toured places badly damaged by the floods.
- Merkel visited a bridge in Hagen that was destroyed but has been nearly rebuilt and talked to firefighters in the Sauerland region who had lost two colleagues during rescue efforts in July, the German news agency dpa reported.
- More than 180 people died in Germany and hundreds more were injured in the July 14-15 floods, which also claimed lives in neighboring Belgium.
- Heavy rainfall turned small streams into raging torrents, sweeping away houses, bridges and cars.
- The German government quickly put into place a roughly 400 million-euro ($475 million) package of immediate aid for flood victims.