Sumary of Split families, missed opportunities as German travel ban on SA continues:
- South Africa is one of 11 countries that has been identified or categorised by the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) as a “virus variant area”.
- The South African spoke to Kelly Dido, an advocate for the German travel restrictions to be eased, and she said some countries were given leniency based on the fact that they are Delta variant dominant like Germany.
- Back in March, 121 countries denied visitation rights to South Africans, and a further 95 nations imposed strict quarantine rules on Mzansi travellers.
- Skyscanner’s interactive map, which collated data from 225 territories across the world, concluded that 96% of them had strict rules that either prohibited or limited travel from SA at the time.
- Back then, only nine countries were willing to allow South Africans in.
- The German travel ban is taking no prisoners and only German citizens, citizens of the EU countries and third-country nationals with permanent residence are shielded from the ban.