Sumary of I’ve been to 322 World Heritage sites: Here are the 20 best to visit:
- Because the World Heritage List is not just a series of landmarks, but a collection of places that tell our story, charting the history of the planet, in all its naturally-formed and human-made forms.
- caTHE TINIEST CULTURAL SITE HOLY TRINITY COLUMN, OLOMOUC, CZECH REPUBLIC It’s not the Czech city of Olomouc’s historic Upper Square that’s a World Heritage Site, or any of the colourful Baroque buildings around it.
- The Holy Trinity Column, 17 metres wide and 32 metres high, is decorated with sculptures of Catholic saints on its lower levels and topped with a copper statue of the Holy Trinity.
- It’s just one – but the best example – of the commemorative columns built in towns across Central Europe in the 18th century.
- euTHE SMALLEST NATURAL SITE VALLEE DE MAI, SEYCHELLES The Vallee de Mai Nature Reserve, Praslin Island, Seychelles.
- Photo: Alamy Most of the natural sites on the World Heritage List are vast – epic deserts, imposing mountain ranges, huge swathes of ocean.