Sumary of Cruise ships are back – but what’s it really like to travel on Covid-safe seas?:
- It sunset on May 20, 2021, and as I watch the port of Southampton fade into the horizon, the gravity of the situation finally hits me – cruise ships are back..
- Today, I am lucky enough to be on board not only the maiden voyage of the brand new €1 billion MSC Virtuosa, but also the first cruise to embark from the UK since the coronavirus pandemic brought this much-loved industry to a standstill..
- I’m excited for this four-day jaunt around the English Channel with a quick stop in Portland but nowhere near as excited as cruise director Gene Young..
- As we all know, the entire cruise industry – in fact, the entire tourism sector – is watching this voyage with bated breath..
- I had to fill in a health questionnaire, then bought special Covid-19 cruise insurance (£22 from Europ Assistance)..
- The restrictions may be strict, but the end result is that I feel totally safe and able to enjoy the impeccable hospitality onboard the MSC Virtuosa..
- One of the most prominent is Swarovski, who have also shelled out the materials for the Virtuosa “million-euro staircase”.
- The promenade is also home to four speciality restaurants, several bars, a theatre and a Balinese spa (where you can enjoy a 45-minute massage for £119)….