Sumary of Flights divert due to Manchester airport closure as firefighters provide medical help:
- After flying a holding pattern for some time, a Ryanair Boeing 737 from Ibiza diverted to East Midlands.
- It took off for the return flight to Ibiza just after midnight, arriving on the Spanish island at 3am local time.
- The final British Airways flight of the day from Heathrow circled over Cheshire before the pilots decided to fly halfway back to London and land at Birmingham.
- The plane later took off for the 66-mile flight to Manchester, arriving nearly three hours late.
- Many other aircraft flew holding patterns including an Air France arrival from Paris, KLM from Amsterdam and a Ryanair jet that spent half-an-hour making circuits over Merseyside and Greater Manchester before finally touching down.
- “We understand that as a result, two inbound aircraft were temporarily diverted to other airports, before arriving in Manchester later on Sunday evening.