Sumary of Green list news – live: Airlines promise extra flights from Portugal to bring home stranded Britons as seats sell out:
- The travel industry was dealt a hammer blow on Thursday as Portugal, the only mainstream holiday country on the green list, was downgraded to amber..
- Transport secretary Grant Shapps cited fears over “a mutation of the Delta variant”, the virus mutation wreaking havoc in India, for plunging Portugal into the amber category, joining most of Europe..
- in the country coronavirus positive test rate and the discovery of 68 cases of the Indian variant, including some with a mutation previously seen in Nepal..
- Airlines including easyJet and British Airways have put on extra flights and bigger aircraft to bring holidaymakers home before the amber list deadline..
- One slim ray of hope came from France, which announced that, from 9 June, fully vaccinated British holidaymakers will be allowed to enter the country, with no requirement to quarantine..
- However, France remains on Britain amber list, necessitating a 10-day quarantine and two PCR tests for all inbound travellers to the UK..
- Recommended Key points Show latest update 1622817588 Simon Calder answers your travel questions at 5pm The Independent travel correspondent Simon Calder is here to answer everything you ever wanted to know (within reason)..
- An official medical certificate which proves the traveller has had and recovered from COVID-19 in the past six months….