Sumary of Holiday bookings collapse 83% as travel restrictions bite:
- Abta, the travel association, blames the government’s “traffic light” system of restrictions.
- The current traffic light arrangements involve multiple tests for arrivals even from low-risk “green list” countries and mandatory hotel quarantine from high-risk “red list” nations.
- Briefings from government suggest the system will be dismantled, with an end to obligatory expensive and onerous PCR tests after arrival.
- In July, quarantine was lifted from “amber list” destinations – except from France, because of fears about infections from Reunion island, 6,000 miles away.
- “It is the fares from leisure passengers that keep our planes flying and routes open – a diminished holiday industry is a diminished aviation industry with fewer routes and fewer flights.
- ”Abta is calling for an end to the traffic light system, with only a short red list “for the management of known variants of concern”.