Sumary of Powerful 7.0 magnitude earthquake strikes southwestern Mexico:
- Advertising Read more The 7.0 magnitude quake, which hit 11 miles northeast of Acapulco in Guerrero state, shook the hillsides around the city, downing trees and pitching large boulders onto roads.
- State governor Hector Astudillo told local television that a man was killed by a falling post.
- He and other authorities had earlier said there were no reports of major damage from the quake, which caused power outages in several states.
- Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador said the temblor had not caused major damages in Guerrero, the neighboring region of Oaxaca, Mexico City and elsewhere.
- A massive earthquake that struck the Mexican capital in 1985 killed thousands of people.