Sumary of Spain ‘unlikely’ to make shock move to ‘amber plus list’ – ‘no changes’ until August 2:
- Concerns are beginning to mount that Spain could be the next country to join France on the newly created “amber plus list”.
- However, according to reports, it is thought that Secretary of State for Transport Grant Shapps has made a commitment not to make any new traffic light changes until the August 2 review.
- France was added in a shock move last Friday evening, with the Government citing concerns over the Beta variant, originally detected in South Africa.
- However, according to European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC) data, in recent weeks cases of the Beta variant in Spain are five times higher than in France.
- As of July 4, 20.2 percent of confirmed cases of coronavirus were found to be a result of the Beta variant.
- In France, during the same period, this figure sits at just 3.8 percent.