Sumary of The Kiwi wine region that wiped the floor with France’s best:
- In 2014, top UK wine merchant Farr Vintners invited a panel of top wine writers to a blind tasting.
- It produces a varied range that includes a delicate rose, a tropical sauvignon blanc and a light, perfumed syrah.
- Highlights from the regional produce-driven menu include delicate citrus-cured salmon, a rich, slow-cooked pork belly and an Insta-worthy swan-shaped profiterole in a moat of chocolate sauce.
- Between tastings, McFarlane shows us another Kumeu highlight, the striking west coast black sand beach of Muriwai.
- Between August and March, the beach’s towering rocky outcrops host a vast colony of Australasian gannets (one of only two nesting sites in the country) and year-round it’s a popular surf spot for Aucklanders.
- It’s another intriguing facet to the region, a dramatic, wind-whipped coastline that is in stark contrast to the bucolic montage of farms, vineyards and horse studs inland.