Sumary of Travel news – live: France expected to lift UK travel ban as politician hints at easing of restrictions:
- Speculation, already rife, was further fuelled last night when French politician Alexandre Holroyd tweeted: “Following numerous discussions with the Government, considerable reductions in health measures at the borders will be announced very soon.
- ”The cryptic tweet followed several holiday companies telling customers they believed the French ban on all Brits, barring those with a handful of “compelling” reasons for travel, was about to be scrapped.
- uk has sent out a marketing email saying: “We are expecting the French government to make an announcement this Wednesday to confirm that British vaccinated skiers can enter France from this Saturday 15 January.
- ”The closure from 15 January to mid-May is “to address long-standing capacity issues at the station and make journeys through Bank easier, quicker and more comfortable”.
- Simon Calder12 January 2022 10:251641982413Last-minute bookings beating summer holidaysHoliday bookings have risen steeply since last weekend, when expensive and onerous UK testing rules introduced because of the Omicron variant of coronavirus were eased.
- But almost one-third of travel agent sales are for trips within the next four weeks, while just 7 per cent are for holidays in July and August respectively.