Sumary of UNESCO World Heritage Day:
- From the Wadden Sea and the ancient beech forests of the Carpathians to Cologne Cathedral, the Augsburg water management system and the monastery island of Reichenau – Germany houses a treasure trove of World Heritage Sites..
- On UNESCO World Heritage Day, many of these sites put on a special, varied programme, inviting you to discover the diverse cultural heritage of Germany and get acquainted with its history..
- What to expect at World Heritage Day An initiative of both the German UNESCO Commission and the UNESCO World Heritage Sites Association, World Heritage Day aims to connect people across national borders and commemorate these precious sites that showcase both the fascinating history of mankind and the spectacular wonders of the natural world..
- Digital programme Since the event has been moved online, a new website has been created to allow enthusiasts to take a virtual tour of discovery through Germany diverse heritage – places that are currently difficult – if not impossible – to access..
- For those interested, interviews are conducted with local world heritage experts who offer their views on the continuous challenges of preservation and mediation..
- This event is even suited to children, who can learn all about their heritage through handicraft instructions, audio guides and colouring pages..
- Photo campaign This year, World Heritage Day also consists of a photo campaign, for which all are invited to take a photo of themselves at their favourite heritage site and share it via Facebook, Instagram or Twitter under the hashtag #WelterbeVerbindet…