Sumary of 15 of the best food and drink experiences in Northern Ireland:
- COASTHats off to Harry’s in PortstewartWith views of the Causeway Coast, the weathered, wood-panelled Harry’s Shack, overlooking Portstewart Strand beach, in Co Derry, serves seafood caught by local fishing boats, locally brewed beer (hello Lacada) and some lip-smacking cocktails.
- Chocs away in Castlerock Photograph: Giles Mulligan PhotographyIn January 2020 Geri Martin moved her bespoke chocolate business, the Chocolate Manor, to the coastal village of Castlerock, Co Derry, with a view to running chocolate experiences.
- This year, as well as the restaurant, the company has also launched a hot food bar called Squid Shack a short walk away, where you can try classic fish and chips and favourites like salt’n’chilli boxes with a choice of squid or prawns.
- It was either that or Belfast would have had an angry mob of cheese toastie fans on its hands.
- These fully-loaded grilled cheese sandwiches use locally sourced, high-quality ingredients and have proved incredibly popular – the slow-cooked ham hock with Coolattin Irish cheddar certainly lives up to its “fancy ham and cheese” name.
- The Hen and Cock Coffee Dock (named after nearby hills), run by couple Ally and Jamie, only set up shop in January this year but is doing a roaring trade selling coffee, cakes and milkshakes as more and more locals take to the hills.