Sumary of 10 of the UK’s best surfing and boarding beaches, chosen by readers:
- Bohemian North Yorkshire Although the south-west may be the most popular choice, the best surfing town in the UK is actually Saltburn-by-the-Sea, in the northernmost corner of Yorkshire..
- there is plenty of affordable accommodation, numerous great pubs and fish-and-chip shops, and a 19th-century funicular sea lift connecting the main town with the beach..
- Top tip – a fantastic pub/B&B, Victoria Inn Brewhouse, is a mere two-minute drive inland, offering comfortable rooms, sunset views and ales brewed onsite.Josh Arnold Profile Readers’ tips:.
- For beginners there a surf school at the top of the beach offering lessons with former big wave surfer Dan Joel, and the cafe serves a lush hot chocolate for those who brave the waves without wetsuits..
- On long days in June and July, white-kissed Atlantic breakers roll in from dawn to dusk and it light until almost midnight..
- We had our own board, but hire and lessons are available nearby at the Watersports Academy.Sharon Pinner Picturesque paddling, Devon Burgh Island can be reached by paddleboard from Bigbury..
- The blue-green waves, reminiscent of Italy south coast, are perfect for novice and advanced surfers, while a low tide gives paddleboarders the perfect opportunity to explore south Devon picturesque coastline and paddle alongside nearby landmarks such as Burgh Island….