Sumary of Leisure travel is bouncing back in parts of Asia but risks remain, says hotelier:
- Locals and tourists attend an event organized to mark the opening of Phuket to international tourists on Patong beach.
- The Thai government recently announced a “sandbox scheme” for Phuket, saying the popular resort island will be open, quarantine-free to vaccinated Thai and foreign travelers from July 1. Koh Samui, Thailand’s second largest island also became accessible to tourists from July 15 under the same rules.
- Tourists can move around both islands freely and leave for other cities in Thailand after staying in Phuket or Samui for 14 days.
- We have many countries in the world that are in pre-Covid levels or higher.
- “We see still slowness in many markets brought on by problems with (vaccine) production,” Heinecke said, naming slow progress in Malaysia and the Philippines.
- That’s “partly because of the AstraZeneca manufacturing in Thailand,” he added.