Sumary of Ask the experts: Will the UK’s red list remain as the travel system is overhauled?:
- Arrivals from these destinations must pay £2,285 (for a solo traveller) for 11 nights in hotel quarantine.
- While some countries – such as Montenegro – are red-listed because of the sheer number of cases there, most have much lower infection numbers than the UK.They are typically left on the red list to prevent the importation of “variants of concern”.
- Robert Boyle, the former British Airways director who now runs Gridpoint Consulting, said: “I don’t believe there are really any countries with high instances of worrying variants.
- “The effort and resources expended on the red list public health theatrics would be better directed to improving vaccinations, disease surveillance and testing in countries that may pose a risk.
- “Additionally, the latest data from NHS Test and Trace shows that of the positive UK arrival cases sequenced, no variants of concern were identified.