Sumary of WTTC repeats call for traffic light system to be scrapped:
- Tourism Council (WTTC) has repeated its call on the UK government to finally bring an end to the “widely discredited” travel traffic light system.
- The call comes after the latest update which saw just seven countries added to the green list, with Thailand, a popular winter sun destination for holiday starved Brits, and Montenegro, added to the red list.
- Turkey, widely expected to be able to welcome British visitors stayed in no-go red, seriously damaging its travel sector.
- WTTC says both consumers and tourism businesses have lost confidence in the system.
- WTTC says the time has come to ditch these disruptive updates completely and allow all those fully vaccinated to travel freely once more – unless travelling to a red-list country.
- Travel should be allowed with testing – for the unvaccinated – to ensure those who are unable to get vaccinated are not discriminated against.