Sumary of Holiday prices ‘slump by 64%’ after Portugal amber list move:
- The collapse in traveller confidence following the abrupt move of Portugal from green list to amber last week has been revealed by a 64 per cent slump in holiday prices..
- and imposed quarantine on returning holidaymakers at four days’ notice, triggering a rush home from Portugal..
- Now a leading travel firm reports a drop of almost two thirds in the average holiday price from the UK to Portugal..
- The cost of some peak-season trips has fallen below £200 as holiday companies cut prices to try to salvage something from the summer, TravelSupermarket reports..
- “Prices are often the most expensive at the start of the school holidays as people are itching to get away as soon as they can..
- Yet the government failure last week to follow its own traffic light system and offer a watchlist and base its decisions on countries’ data has created a lack of clarity for holidaymakers..
- Separately, the travel guide and wildlife photographer Paul Goldstein has offered ministers what he says is “a simple formula to get travel back on its feet again:…