Sumary of Festa des Vermar: the Mallorca harvest festival where the whole village throws grapes at each other:
- MOST sensible people prefer to drink a glass of wine rather than wear it, but one Mallorca village celebrates its annual grape harvest with a messy free for all, and it’s a lot more fun than you’d think!
- Not a lot of fiestas have taken place in Spain due to Covid restrictions, but hopefully The Festa des Vermar in Mallorca is a sign of the fun festivals to come.
- The annual grape festival, Festa des Vermar, also called Sa Vermada, marks the end of the grape harvesting season in mid-September and includes parades, grape-crushing competitions, a wine tasting contest and a grape-throwing battle.
- Grape treading competitions take place in the church square where groups of people have 3-4 minutes to tread as much juice as possible from two bags of grapes.
- It’s recommended people taking part wear old white clothes that they don’t mind ruining, as it gets messy!