Sumary of What you need to know about the wild mushroom hunting craze that grips Spain each autumn:
- Mushrooms are an essential ingredient in any traditional Spanish kitchen.
- There’s no doubt about it, they go tantalisingly well cooked in butter, virgin olive oil, parsley and garlic, alongside freshly baked bread and perhaps even a glass of wine.
- This is why from late-September to mid-December every year thousands of basket wielding Spanish residents head off into the forests with their friends and families.
- The fungus causes severe liver failure which requires an urgent liver transplant within 10 days to avoid death.
- Symptoms include severe vomiting and diarrhea, and can appear up to 24 hours after consuming a toxic mushroom.