Sumary of A contemporary art gallery hopes to paint Bournemouth in a glowing new light:
- Seven miles of golden sand and two fine piers have long given Bournemouth classic British beach resort status.
- While other southern coastal towns, such as Margate and Hastings, have become synonymous with modern culture, Bournemouth has been associated with stag and hen dos and rich retirees.
- The golden sands of Bournemouth Beach have long attracted visitors from across the UKGIANT is the brainchild of local artist Stuart Semple, who returned from London seven years ago, determined to reposition his hometown as a creative hub.
- ‘We’ve got amazing beaches, great food and nightlife, a university, an art college and an airport.
- Visual artists the Chapmans, whose work is deliberately shocking, are showing suicide vests cast in bronze, which carry hand-painted art materials rather than explosives.
- ‘It’s a big deal for us and Bournemouth that they decided to present them here,’ says Semple.