Sumary of Brush up on your painting: The pub in East Sussex that offers art courses for all talents:
- That was when my long-suffering art teacher at school, Miss Miller, politely agreed with me that I shouldn’t do art O-level.
- Our teacher was artist Dani Humberstone, until recently vice-president of the Society of Women Artists.
- First, she taught us how to draw an outline of a Royal Gala apple on a canvas board.
- But Dani ingeniously showed us how to produce a three-dimensional look by painting dark shadows on one side of the apple, and adding dashes of white highlights on the other.
- By making the middle of the apple light and both sides darker, you ‘pull’ the fruit out of the canvas, bulging towards the viewer, to give the illusion of 3D reality.
- ‘There’s a lot to be said for looking naive,’ she said, when my apple stayed resolutely flat and refused to jump into the third dimension.