Sumary of Competition & Markets Authority brands PCR test system a ‘lottery’:
- The body said there is a risk of a ‘race to the bottom,’ in which providers compete on grounds other than high clinical quality and travellers end up losing out.
- They also say that, when things do go wrong, they are unable even to contact some providers, let alone get refunds when they are due.
- In addition to providing advice to the UK government, the CMA is already using its powers to act where it can.
- On August 25th, it published an open letter to all PCR test providers warning them to stay on the right side of consumer law.
- On September 3rd, the CMA launched an investigation into Expert Medicals, one of the largest providers in the market, and investigations into other companies are being considered.
- Meanwhile, a further 19 test providers have also been told directly by the CMA to improve their pricing information or risk further action.