Sumary of Covid: Thousands of summer holidays could be ruined by the ‘pingdemic’:
- On Tuesday morning Paul Scully, the business minister, said that it was up to individuals to make informed decisions about whether to isolate when pinged by the app.
- Many British holidaymakers who booked a domestic break this summer will not have considered insurance for a UK trip.
- Photograph: Manfred Gottschalk/Getty ImagesAnd there is no clarity around whether those unable to travel will be able to get a refund or postponement.
- Some cottage rental companies will not give last-minute refunds, instead telling customers to rely on their travel insurance.
- But many British holidaymakers who booked a domestic break as a safer option than a foreign holiday this summer will not have considered insurance for a UK trip, and many people’s annual policies will have lapsed during the pandemic.
- Tommy Lloyd, managing director of insurance comparison website Medical Travel Compared, said: “We have seen an increased number of people taking out travel insurance for their staycation this year but many are still taking a gamble by not being fully protected.