Sumary of Dispatches from the grassroots: Farmerama and the new wave of food media:
- Barratt was until recently deputy CEO at the Open Knowledge Foundation, Revell works full-time as a video producer, and Rose is an app developer who builds tools for farmers and wine producers to monitor their fields, orchards and vineyards.
- ”Founded in 2015 by Barratt and Rose in the wake of a farming and tech festival, Farmerama Radio was originally created to be “by farmers, for farmers”: dispatches from the field, designed to help the disparate farming community share knowledge.
- ”On the back of Cereal’s success, the team was offered funding and mentorship from Farming the Future, a charitable fund that supports innovative projects around British agriculture, with the aim of developing something around Covid’s impact on food supply.
- Dee Woods, a food and farming activist who sits on the fund’s advisory board, encouraged the team to think bigger.
- Their end result shows Britain’s food system in its totality: multiracial, multiregional, urban, rural, local, national.
- , with Col Gordon – a Scottish farmer’s son who helped source stories for the team – stepping forward as the series’ lead character.