Sumary of Exploring beautiful Durham and its Unesco-listed cathedral, which featured in the Harry Potter films:
- Together with an adjacent Norman castle, it became a UNESCO World Heritage site in 1986. All roads in the city’s historic centre are cobbled, steep and lead to this cathedral.
- It’s Saint Cuthbert the pilgrims come to see, as well as the stained glass rose window.
- The River Wear loops around the cathedral’s hill in an oxbow.
- The serenity of the River Wear offers respite from such dramas.
- Trees arc over the river, their boughs reflected in the water, with only the occasional duck, swan or passing row-boat for company.