Sumary of Holidaymakers pay thousands to scramble home from Balearics to avoid quarantine:
- British holidaymakers have paid thousands of pounds to race back from the Balearic Islands before they joined the UK’s amber list, triggering mandatory quarantine.
- The Spanish islands, which include holiday favourites Mallorca and Ibiza, were previously on the government’s green watchlist, meaning arrivals from there could forgo self-isolation.
- In response, many holidaymakers engaged in a mad dash to make it home before the deadline.
- “Cameron has had his first jab but has his driving test booked so didn’t want to quarantine,” Miller, 53, from Leicestershire, told The Times.
- There’s no doubt that what should have been a cheap holiday hasn’t been.
- ”Mia Brien, 18, who was on holiday with friends, said they all had to pay out to race back a day early.