Sumary of InMotion Moves Across The Atlantic Following Major Store Wins At British Airports:
- InMotion at Miami Airport, but coming en masse to the U.K.
- [+] Greenberg/Education Images/Universal Images Group via Getty Images) Jeffrey Greenberg/Universal Images Group via Getty Images North America’s biggest airport-based digital accessories retailer InMotion will land in the U.K.
- later this year following its parent company WHSmith winning contracts to run 18 technology stores across some of the biggest airports in the U.K.
- Seventeen of the 18 stores are currently operated by the electronics retailer Dixons Carphone.
- The Dixons departure was the perfect opportunity for convenience and news retailer WHSmith to bring InMotion—a company it bought in November 2018—to the U.K.
- InMotion currently has one small store at Leeds Bradford Airport.
- WHSmith is believed to be in discussions for several more Dixons Travel sites at British airports so the InMotion portfolio could easily rise into the mid-20s by the end of the year.
- In a statement, WHSmith noted: “In a fully recovered travel environment, we anticipate these stores—which will sell a combination of premium products from brands like Apple and Samsung as well as tech accessories—will deliver sales of about £60 million ($83 million) per year.” Against that, the retailer is expecting to incur capex and working capital investment of about £15 million in the financial year ending August 2022 to get these new stores up and running.