Sumary of Short stay: Ettington Park Hotel, Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire, UK:
- A long tree-lined drive gives guests arriving by car the opportunity to take in glimpses of the towers and turrets of a country house that is now looked after by Handpicked Hotels..
- Service is friendly and personal, guests are taken to the lift by the receptionist and then to their room – which is essential as Ettington Park has invented its own idiosyncratic number system..
- Although there is gleaming steamship style plumbing at the head of the bath, it is distinctly 21st century with a wall-mounted television above and a waterproof remote control..
- Although huge dimensions are 19th century aristocratic, the technology, including a rainfall shower, is very contemporary..
- The Grand Drawing Room, approaching sports hall size, is a grandiose setting for coffee, afternoon tea and pre-dinner drinks, amongst chandeliers and vast portraits..
- A range of steaks and Herefordshire port-glazed short-rib beef also demonstrate the respect for British traditions..
- For special celebrations, the hotel offers private dining, catering from an intimate 14 in the 19th century stained-glass windowed chapel through to 96 in the Long Gallery that runs the full length of the second floor..
- When the weather is fine, there are few better places than the Ettington Park terrace for al fresco dining and admiring the views across the lawns down to the River Stour….