Sumary of Summer holiday roads gridlock predicted by RAC:
- Motorists have been warned of a “perfect storm” on the UK’s roads over the next few days as millions of families set off on holiday.
- Restrictions on international travel mean that more British holidaymakers are planning domestic trips.
- The RAC and the transport analysts Inrix say that more than 11 million leisure trips will be made by car as schools in England and Wales break up for summer.
- Wednesday 21 and Friday 23 July are predicted to be the busiest days on the roads, with 2.6 million and 2.3 million leisure trips made by drivers respectively.
- Journey times are likely to be severely affected, with Inrix predicting a 29 per cent increase in traffic congestion on Friday, compared with typical July travel.