Sumary of The best British beaches, chosen by the travel desk:
- First up, it extremely convenient when travelling from London – a swift 52 minutes on the high-speed Southeastern train service from St Pancras..
- It even hosts one of the world premier Goth festivals, the twice yearly Whitby Goth Weekend, thanks in part to Bram Stoker, for whom the Gothic Whitby Abbey served as inspiration for “Dracula”..
- Anyway, back to that beach – this blue flag beauty is ideal for rock pooling, paddling and bathing and has a spectacular cliff backdrop, plus a row of brightly coloured beach huts for added charm..
- – HC South Bank, Waterloo, London Calling this strip of sand and pebbles, properly visible only at low tide, a beach is possibly pushing it a little – but it a personal favourite of mine, as I held my wedding reception at the South Bank Oxo Tower that overlooks it..
- it sweeps down to the sea from a high coastal promenade ideal for walking off the fish and chip lunch, and there a row of colourful beach huts I used to enjoy peering into as a child..
- – CA Ballycastle, County Antrim The Bay Cafe – which overlooks the broad beach of Ballycastle and has conveniently vast bay windows – serves the Big Fry special (sausage, bacon, egg, beans, tomatoes, hashbrowns, soda bread, toast, tea) before long….