Sumary of The UK government has given a masterclass in how to destroy a tourism industry:
- Simon Calder, also known as The Man Who Pays His Way, has been writing about travel for The Independent since 1994. In his weekly opinion column, he explores a key travel issue – and what it means for you.
- “Pre-pandemic the UK’s inbound tourism industry was the jewel in our crown,” says Joss Croft.
- He is chief executive of UKinbound, which represents hoteliers, tourist attractions, transport firms and the many other enterprises that depend on overseas visitors.
- In particular, London was the world capital of aviation, with tens of millions more inbound airline seats than any other city on the planet.
- Because that is precisely what the chaotic, incoherent and constantly changing UK travel restrictions are doing.
- Our Covid case rates are way above the vast majority of European countries, yet the UK regards even vaccinated travellers from “green list” countries with suspicion.