Sumary of Tips for staying safe on the slopes this winter:
- By Bailey Berg, Michael Ciaglo Getty Images Skiers and snowboarders sit on a chairlift on opening day at Colorado’s Breckenridge Ski Resort last November.
- It’s easy to see why even the most seasoned of skiers or snowboarders aren’t immune to accidents on the slopes.
- Take the time to just enjoy skiing and riding in a beautiful place,” said Hunter Mortensen, ski patrol director at Breckenridge Ski Resort.
- [At Montana’s Big Sky Resort, a new perspective on skiing] Rick Shandler, safety team program director for the National Ski Patrol, said skiers should also be properly hydrated and mindful of the effects of caffeine and alcohol.
- “We encourage everyone to follow the safety precautions laid out by each resort, which may vary this year, so check your local resort for more information,” said Luke Ratto, program director of Ski Utah Interconnect Tour.
- At a minimum, skiers should choose runs and terrain appropriate for their abilities.