Sumary of Tourism minister defends government policies on visitors to UK:
- ”In August the UK attracted just 14 per cent of its visitor numbers two years earlier, the worst performance of any major European nation, as a result of the coronavirus pandemic – and the government’s response in the shape of onerous quarantine and testing policies.
- ”His company was a highly successful business catering largely to American visitors to London until March 2020. As with many firms, he has scaled back staffing – and seen the value of his fleet of luxury coaches more than halve, placing them in negative equity.
- “Even when tourists return to London we are a good 18 months away from the inbound industry being able to accommodate visitors,” he warned.
- ”Meanwhile Blue Badge tourist guides are warning of a collapse in the number of school groups coming to the UK because of a Brexit ban on arrivals from the European Union using identity cards.
- Since the start of October, arrivals from the EU have had to carry passports to visit Britain – though an estimated 250 million European citizens do not have them and rely instead on ID cards.
- They come to discover our culture and history, they are our exchange students, the language students and tourists of the future.