Sumary of Travel news – live: Traffic light system could end next month, new UK trains offer London-Edinburgh for £10:
- The UK’s “traffic light” travel system could be scrapped from next month, according to one industry figure.
- The PC Agency CEO Paul Charles, who has been sharing industry updates throughout the pandemic, tweeted:“The traffic light system is expected to be scrapped by 1st Oct – at last.
- Airlines and some of us in the sector are aware of plans to create a simpler system, where countries are either red or not.
- ”“Scrapping of traffic light system would be a relief to pretty well everyone and herald a ‘living with an endemic’ approach, rather than blanket country measures.
- Would be a relief to countries in Africa, South America, Asia which don’t deserve to be red-listed,” said Charles.
- Critics of the UK’s system have pointed out that the country’s travel sector is opening up far more slowly than the rest of the world.